Lares Community Trek 4D/3N
This trip combines an exceptional alternative trek with the principle archaeological sites of Pisac, Ollantaytambo, and Machu Picchu. We begin by visiting the Pisac ruins and market, then drive into the Cordillera Vilcanota for a short hike to the Andean community of Quishuarani. On the second day we pass waterfalls and turquoise glacial lagoons to reach Pachaqutec pass (4700m.) while surrounded by other soaring peaks of the Vilcanota range. On day three the trail returns us to the Sacred Valley with a gentle descent along the Cancha Cancha River. In the afternoon we drive to the village of Ollantaytambo and spend the night here in a comfortable hostel. Day four begins with the early train to Aguas Calientes for a professionally-guided tour of Machu Picchu Sanctuary and free time to explore before departing for Cusco in the afternoon.
Day 1: Cusco / Pisac / Quisharani
Distance: 3K / 1.8 miles
We depart Cusco in the morning and drive to Pisac, where we tour the ruins perched high above the Sacred Valley, visit the local artisan’s market and have lunch in the charming Main Square. From here we continue through the Sacred Valley and climb by vehicle into the Cordillera Vilcanota. We have a short acclimatization hike to the village of Quishuarani, our first campsite.
Meals provided: Lunch, Dinner, Snacks, Tea.
Time Approximate walking time: 1 hour
Day 2 : Quisharani / Cancha Cancha
Distance: 13.5K / 8 miles
Following the trail out of Quishuarani community, we climb past a series of cascading waterfalls and lagoons. An original Inca stone path leads us steeply up the ridge to Pachaqutec pass (4700m.), the highest point on our trek. Nearing the top, we enjoy spectacular views of the snow-covered peaks of Pitusiray (5750m.) and Chicon (5530m.). The trail leads down into the opposite corridor to the brilliant glacial lakes of Suirococha and Yuraccocha. Here we can see several bird species, including Andean Ibis and Andean geese. Descending further, we begin to see the thatched-roof stone houses and corrals of Cancha Cancha community, our last camp site.
Meals provided: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks, Tea
Time Approximate walking: 8 hours
Day 3 : Cancha Cancha to Huaran to Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu
Distance: 9K / 5.4 miles
Today our hike follows the Cancha Cancha River down into a fertile green valley replete with flowers, plants, and birds of the region. After a gentle descent of approximately 3-4 hours, we reach the village of Huaran where we have lunch before driving to Ollantaytambo. In the afternoon we will board a train that will take us the final stretch of the way to Aguas Calientes, where
Meals provided: Breakfast, Lunch, Snacks.
Approximate walking time: 3-4 hours.
Day 4 : Machu Picchu to Cusco
Waking up early in the morning, we will take a bus up to Machu Picchu and enjoy an official tour of the spectacular Inca ruins. There is time to explore on your own before the afternoon train departs Aguas Calientes. We arrive to Cusco at approximately 8:00pm (depending on availability of trains).
Meals provided: Breakfast
Includes / Not Included
- Hotel collection and private transport to trailhead.
- Guided tours of Pisac Market or ruins.
- Lunch in Pisac.
- Professional, bilingual tour guide and trek staff.
- Plentiful, nutritious meals (Vegetarian option available) and snacks.
- Drinking water provided throughout trek.
- Round-trip train from Ollantaytambo-Aguas Calientes-Poroy.
- Entrance fees to Machu Picchu.
- Overnight stay in Aguas Calientes.
- Round trip bus tickets from Aguas Calientes-Machu Picchu-Aguas Calientes.
- Professionally-guided tour of Machu Picchu.
- Transfer from Poroy Train Station to your hotel in Cusco.
- Hot water for washing in the morning.
- High quality, double-occupancy tents and equipment (includes dining tent, kitchen tent, and latrine tent).
- Pack animals (horses and llamas) to carry baggage and equipment.
- Emergency horse(s) for riding in case of illness or injury.
- Transport back to Cusco or to Ollantaytambo.
- Duffle Bag.
- Camping mattress.
- First aid kit and oxygen tank.
- Walking poles.
- Sleeping bag.
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu/ Machu Picchu Mountian.
- Breakfast Day 1 /Dinner Day 3/ Lunch and Dinner on Day 4.
Group Service starts with Min. 6 Trekkers
Three days of trekking: USD 260 per person (Minimun 6 Trekkers)
Extension to Machu Picchu (Day 4): USD 340 per person
Extension to Machu Picchu includes:
- Train tickets
- Bus tickets
- Machu Picchu entrance
- Guided tour